Fifty years ago the entire Creole population of the Chagos Islands was expelled by the British authorities. This secret operation took place in order to lease the largest island to the US Navy so that it could build a military base.
Now, with the lease about to expire, Chagossian exiles struggle to recover their homeland. The charismatic woman leading their fight in UK is Sabrina Jean. Through her unrelenting activism, including participation in the World Football Cup for Stateless people, she strives to keep the flame of hope alive in her community: so that her people might finally return home.
Awards / Festivals
- Sheffield Doc/Fest (England, 2019) – World premiere
- Traces de vies (Clermont-Ferrand, 2019)
- BIFF Bergen International Film Festival (Norway, 2019)
- Fortnight of Francophone Cinema (Paris, 2019)
- "Human Doc" International Festival of Documentary Films (Poland, 2019)
- Noida International Film Festival (India, 2020)
- Millenium Documentary Film Festival (Belgium, 2020)
- One World – International Human Rights Documentary Film Festival (Czech Republic, 2019)
- Itinérances Festival International du Film d'Ales (France, 2020)
- DOC Cévennes (France, 2020)